Tuesday 4 September 2012

‘It’s (not so) Potent!’

Hello Beauty Addicts!

I first fell in love with Benefit when I was on a plane to Tunisia. Seeing as it was my first holiday abroad I thought I would splurge on the plane and buy myself a Benefit kit that contained their infamous ‘Benetint,’ their mint monstrosity ‘California Kissin’’ (no comments on that one) and a mystery product that soon became my favourite and I would go as far to say my staple beauty product: ‘EyeCon’ under eye cream.

But wait, what’s that? ‘EyeCon’ discontinued!

This is exactly what I discovered when I walked into my local Boots store, strode confidently up to the Benefit counter with my £21.50 in hand to find that not only had the price gone up to a grand total of £23.50 but the product had change. Now I’m not above paying more in the current economy but since the quality of the product has decreased I am incredibly disappointed.

Whilst buying ‘It’s Potent’ I was assured by the sales assistant that the new formula was moisturising, brightening and tightening in a way that the old ‘EyeCon’ formula never did. Now I’m fully aware that the Benefit sales team are just that: SALES! But generally I’ve always found them to know what they’re talking about. This cream however has proved to be a big no-no.

So let’s start with the claim…
“It’s potent! eye cream fades dark circles & helps smooth fine lines for brighter, younger-looking eyes. Contains a peptide complex known to help restore elasticity & firmness.”

I’m first going to go for the elasticity and firmness, now these are words that get thrown around a lot and I’m just going to discount firmness as there is nothing ‘firm’ about the eye area and this cream certainly doesn’t magically change that, nor does it improve elasticity of skin. Elasticity? I’ve always struggle with this description as elastic stretches both ways as we all know, it can be loose as well as tight so surely what this longwinded, scientific mumbo jumbo sentence is saying is that the cream with address the taughtness (yes?) of skin. Now whether that is technically a real word or not, it certainly makes more sense. Summary: skin condition = no change.

Moving on to ‘fades dark circles.’ Here I find myself in a somewhat 50/50 state of opinion. This cream does not fade existing dark circles. In fact, if you’re using this cream alone then it adds a shimmery wet look to the skin that highlights puffiness and darkness around the eye area. BUT, and it is a big ‘but,’ I must grudgingly admit that as a preventative method ‘It’s Potent!’ does have some merits. A good thick layer as you sleep when you know you’re getting up at five in the morning can do wonders so it begs the question as to whether this is a good formula but just doesn’t have the added concealing power that its predecessor (‘EyeCon’) had.

In light of this I feel compelled to offer two final verdicts. In comparison to its older version I must say that it’s a big, fat zero. On its own and in its own right I will give this product a 2/5 for its overnight treatment, but disappointing as this is not the products intended use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping a word.