Tuesday 4 December 2012

My bookshelf.




 

 Hello! 

Now as you all know I am of course a beauty addict but today I felt like deviating a bit and taking you on a tour of my bookshelf over the past few months. I want to share with you the books I've read, the next book on my list and the ones I've loved, or in some cases, not loved. 

I'm planning on seeing Great Expectations this week and whilst watching the trailer with the beautiful Jeremy Irvine I was reminded of how much I loved Now Is Good.  You can imagine how disappointed I was to find out it doesn't come out on DVD until January! I remembered that I wanted to read the book after I'd seen the film so onto Amazon I went and downloaded it to my tablet. Republished for the films released as Now Is Good, this book by Jenny Downham was originally published as Before I Die in 2007.

Before I Die follows leukaemia victim Tessa Scott on a downward spiral as she attempts to do all of the things on her bucket list before she dies. Tessa's character is a typical sixteen year old with an attitude to match and most of the comedy comes from her antics and the quick wit of the characters. 

I've really enjoyed the simplicity of this book. It's very much an internal monologue and becomes very dreamy as Tessa's condition worsens. My only slight disappointment is that I didn't read this before seeing the film. For me the adaption of this was really beautiful and funny but as it turns out there are some major differences in personality, especially in the case of Tessa's boyfriend Adam who is very different in the film version. Whilst aspects of his personality add realism in the book it doesn't always work on a romantic level. 

Summary, treat this book as a relationship study and a girls life experience, not a romance. Secondly, see the book as a separate entity to the book as they are very similar in plot but remarkable different in tone. 

Either way, both are very good and particularly inspiring. Take a look: 




So my next book, and it's awful to say I love this but if you're feeling like some Gothic fairy tales then Angela Carter is just doing her thing in her collection of short stories: The Bloody Chamber. Anyone doing A level English Literature will be familiar with the, erm, at some times blunt but flowery at the same time style that Carter uses throughout the collection. Carter is insistent that she isn't rewriting fairy tales but let's face it, these are just the Brother's Grimm all over again, except very well written. With tales inspired by Little Red Riding Hood, Bluebeard, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and a whole load of other folktales The Bloody Chamber is a somewhat gruesome take on our childhood fantasies. It's not your usual read, but if you're not afraid of a bit of gore then these are well worth a read.  











woman_in_black_hc_largeCarrying on with my slightly Gothic tastes, I always wanted to read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill so when I found out they were going to make a film I though I'd get in quick and read it before I saw it. For those who have seen the film, much like Now Is Good there are some major plot changes that I don't really care for. The novel is much more realistic and manages to hold that same suspenseful tension throughout before culminating in an almost sarcastic ending. When I brought my copy from Waterstones I splashed out on a lovely special edition (which you can see in the picture) with little sketches inside at the start of each chapter. Hill's writing style is very very eloquent and it really feels like every line counts. I couldn't put this book down. It wasn't too chilling but really made you think about karma and the afterlife. For a look at The Woman In Black (film version) for a general plot summary then here you go:




This last book is one that I'm planning on reading but haven't yet. I more want to know about your thoughts. I got The Night Circus written by Erin Morgenstern for Christmas last year and still haven't gotten around to reading it. I was intrigued by the beautiful front cover and decided I had to have it. Besides, who doesn't like a circus!



If you have read it, let me know what you thought.

Say goodbye to my bookshelf.

Tah raaa!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping a word.